Saturday 24 September 2016

Rooney blasts critics

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has called criticisms against him ‘rubbish’

– The England captain said that all negative comments makes him perform better

– The former Everton forward believes he will fit into any role handed to him by Mourinho

– Rooney also added that he relishes the chance to avenge defeat from City’s in the EFL Cup

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has said that a lot of his criticisms about his recent performance for the club is ‘rubbish’.

United captain has come under fire in the three defeats suffered by the Red Devils and have played full 90 minutes in losses to Manchester City and Watford.

However, the 30-year-old has made it clear that he is used to being under such scrutiny and all negative comments will not affect his performances for the club.

“I think I’ve had that my whole career – a little bit more of late, I think, but that’s football,” Rooney told MUTV.

“I listen to my coaches and my team-mates, the people around me, and I don’t really listen to what a lot of people out there are saying because a lot of it is rubbish.
“I have to focus, work hard, of course, and I’ve done that throughout my career. I’ve worked hard and tried to do my best for the team.”

The England captain was deployed into a deeper midfield position by Louis Van Gaal and while at Euro 2016 Roy Hodgson played him in a central midfield position for the Three Lions.

I’ve done that [played in different positions] throughout my career,” he said.

“I feel I can play in all positions but I think the manager has made it clear either I’ll play up front or in the number 10 [role] and that’s where he sees me playing.”

The former Everton striker also said that he is relishing the opportunity to avenge the defeat suffered in the hands of Manchester City in the EFL Cup fourth round match which will be played in Old Trafford.

“For me, I think it’s the perfect draw,” Rooney added. “With what happened in the league, it’s a chance for us to get revenge for that result.”

Rooney is United’s second highest all-time top scorerwith 246, three short of Sir Bobby Charlton’s 249 since joining the Red Devils in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment