Friday 21 October 2016

Iwobi says Okocha requested for his jersey

Alex Iwobi reveals he was shocked when his football idol Jay Jay Okocha requested for his jersey

– The Super Eagles winger said that it was the other way round while his uncle was still active in football

– Iwobi has enjoyed playing time with Arsenal this season at the expense of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Super Eagles forward Alex Iwobi has revealed that he was shocked when his uncle Austin Okocha asked for his jersey as a souvenir.

The 20-year-old has been enjoying playing time for Arsenal this season at the expense of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain since making his debut for the Gunners in October 2015.

Iwobi disclosed that it was the other way round while his uncle was still in his playing days in the Premier League, so it meant a lot to him.

“He was at my house the other day and when he was asking me for my shirt, I was confused,” Iwobi told Arsenal’s official website.

“I thought it was a joke at first and then my dad got out one of my old jerseys and gave it to him. He said, ‘I’m going to treasure this’ and I was like ‘Wow, it used to be the other way around.

For it to be like that, it was a moment I enjoyed, but it was crazy. I was always looking up to my uncle.

“Everyone knew that my uncle played for Bolton and he was a very big figure in Africa as well. He doesn’t just help me on the pitch, he helps me off the pitch, which is a key thing for me.”

Although Iwobi is yet to score for the Gunners this season but he and Mesut Ozil have been combining well as they interchange position freely which has helped the youngster’s development as a player in Arsenal’s midfield.

Iwobi recently also acknowledged the German international as one of the main reasons his has hit the spot light for both club and country.

The Nigerian international scored his first goal for the national team in the 2 – 1 win away to Zambia in a Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier.

Watch Alex Iwobi skills, assists and goals

No comments:

Post a Comment